Part II Default Emission Factors
Part II contains a compilation of PCDD/PCDF emission factors for all source categories listed in Annex C Part II and III of the Stockholm Convention. Emission factors for certain other unintentional POPs sources are presented in Part III of the Toolkit. The source categories are grouped into 10 source groups. Neither the sequence of the groups, nor the sequence of the source categories within the groups implies any ranking of the importance of each group within a country’s unintentional POPs inventory.
The chapters on default emission factors begin with a brief description of the source group’s characteristics followed by an overview of relevant source categories, including major unintentional POPs release routes. Reference is made to the Stockholm Convention and information on each source category’s relevance to Article 5, Annex C is provided. A series of example inventories have also been compiled to provide specific examples of inventories of sources and releases of unintentional POPs. The example inventories were developed to illustrate the inventory process for each of the ten source groups covered by the Toolkit.
Emission factors are provided for five release vectors, i.e., air, water, land, product, residue.
Individual source categories included in one source group are addressed by the following sub-chapters:
- Brief description of the source category and potential unintentional POPs releases, linked to the BAT&BEP Guidelines where appropriate;
- PCDD/PCDF emission factors for the particular classes along with detailed information needed for the classification of the sources and selection of most appropriate emission factors;
- If available, emission factors for other unintentional POPs are provided in Annexes;
- Useful guidance facilitating the assessment of relevant activity rates;
- Assessment of the level of confidence associated with emission factors by assigning data quality rating;
- Detailed information on how the emission factors were derived is also provided in Annexes, along with an overview of all recent revisions performed by the Toolkit expert group; and
- Example inventories for every source group are included in Part III.
Click here to access the individual source groups and source categories listed in the Toolkit.